Pre 1870

Pre 1870 Audio

Charles Throsby SmithCharles Throsby Smith (born 1st March 1798- Cambridge, England, died 25th September 1876- Wollongong, Australia).  Charles Smith first visited NSW in 1816.  During his visit he spent time on a cattle station run by his uncle at 'Five Islands' (Wollongong). Smith returned to NSW in 1819. On the 17th March 1820 he was granted permission to remain in NSW by Governor Macquarie and shortly after was given a land grant of 300 acres (approximately 120 hectares). He farmed at Appin until he took his grant at Wollongong in 1823.

Bustle Farm boundaries were the sea, Fairy Creek and the present day Crown and Flinders streets. The land between Crown, Smith, Keira and Harbour streets were surveyed in 1834 as the centre for Wollongong, which Smith wanted to call Bustletown. Charles Smith originally lived on the corner of the present Smith and Harbour Streets. Later he built a larger house 'Bustle Hall' on the highest part of his property (hence Smith's Hill), number 28 - 30 Church Street. Smith was an active member of the local community. His public offices included Crown Land Agent for Illawarra, alderman and mayor of the Municipality of Wollongong, electoral officer and magistrate. The majority of Smith's estate was auctioned in 1879.

Charles Throsby Smith's home on Smiths Hill